Friday, June 30, 2006

More coaming work

More recent pictures of the coaming rebuild project. I started to reassemble the pieces after they had been removed and rejuvenated. There was a large void in the forward part that i am making sure stays filled by using roof patch. When I took it apart there was just a big (but not filling all the space) goober of sikaflex. Upon reflection on this part of the project, I believe i should have fit in a small graving piece to bring the wood flush, and not relied on goop filler to do it, but i think this will keep the water out well too. I made my own witches brew of redlead primer for this project, and i must say, that i am happy with the results. Finding the redlead was a pain (I got it from Firefox Enterprises in Idaho, a fireworks supply company), but the home mix is much cheaper and more 'to the point' then any Kerby's like product. I didn't have a block plane at this point, so I used my nimble thumbs and a chisel to bevel the wood used to replace the coaming-to-outboard-deck corner piece. ...and an overview of the work zone. Notice other random pieces of canvas over the boat. Those are other leaky spots that are going to be attacked next. But for now they are kept dry with little homemade Sunbrella tarps. I can't stand leaks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home