Friday, June 30, 2006

Through-hulls scare the crap outta me...

Story time.

I disconnected the drain for my hand basin last weekend (see interior pics from the first few posts for reference). I was a waste of valuable space and only 5' from the galley sink, so I chucked it.

Upon cutting through the PVC (yeah, I know...) pipe at the T with the seacock, I caught a initial flood of water. No problem, the drains still had (nasty) water from the waterline down in them. But then it kept coming, but at a trickle. The seacocks in Danneskjold need to be overhauled, I know that, and they are sticky enough that I could not turn the valve all the way off. And though it was a very small trickle, it was enough to thwart the curing of the 5200 adhesive I was planning on using the plug the end. I was stuck. And freaking out.

So i began to think of how i could stop the water from coming in long enough to let the 5200 cure. I didn't want to use a rag, because i suspect it would turn into a stinky mold farm in no time living in the grey-water pipe. I looked over and saw a small pile of expired flares... each with a small plastic cap on them. It looked like it was the perfect size to fit snugly inside the pipe to stop the water influx while I glue the cap over the outside. And sure enough, it did. I was amazed. And relieved.

Here is a shot of the situation at hand and the little plastic cap the saved me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home