Monday, March 12, 2007

Bilge cleaning!

Due to the face that I like to flip up the first bilge plank when I'm off the boat (for ventilation below), lots of dirt gets in there. I've been trying to vacuum it out periodically, but it really just needs a good scrubbin' from time to time.

This Sunday was one of those times.

I pulled out the two containers of chems (stored in old battery boxes) for full access to the planking and the top of the keel.


You can't see it too well, but its fairly grimy in there... lots of dust bunnys.


I scrubbed it down with a mild soap solution (enviro-friendly, in case you are wondering). Then poured many gallons of fresh water through it to rinse.



I mixed up a linseed oil/terps/jap dry solution with a but of borate salt (wood preservative). After the wood was reasonably dry, I slathered that all over the wood. It was already nice, oily, happy wood, but more is better, right? I put the fan on that set to full blast (to try to get the terps smell 'kicked off' ASAP) and went for a walk to CWB.

I got back and chilled out with a glass of Jameson Whisky while the oil was curing... I also gave a little to Danne as well, hes been a good boat and I feel bad for not sailing him yet. So, he got some drink too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home