Tuesday, August 08, 2006

New hatch board holder thingys...

So I needed some project to lift my spirits while I wait for my black locust to arrive and I worry whether this hair-brained trunnel thing is going to work out. So I replaced the cracked and nasty boards that hold in the hatch board from the outside. I am re-varnishing the area as well, so not seemed like a good time to tackle it.

I went to the hardwood shop and bought an beautiful piece of padauk, a lovely deep red. I've heard that it gets better with a little varnish... I hope so. I basically made some crude measurements, cit the basic shape with my ryoba saw, then started shaping the pieces with my block plane and sand paper. They are not perfect, but I like the beefy, somewhat crude look. Here is the house with the old bits removed. I also started to seal the mahogany with linseed/tung oil mix, getting ready for varnish too.

The padauk is amazing. I not too sure about its ability to withstand the marine environment, but it shouldn't be too bad, it seems to be known as a very robust wood.


The shavings and sawdust from the wood was so cool.

Here are the "matched" bits. And installed! Beefy.


I am also using mahogany bungs in the pieces. I think it'll add a cool contrast.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home