Monday, October 09, 2006

Making bolts

This weekend, all I really did was cut some of the bronze rod stock to size for the long bolts on the bow. I basically just rammed the long rob into the piloted hole and then a friend marked it outside the hull after I made sure it protruded about 1/4" inside. Here it is sticking in... everything is really dirty from all the drilling and such. Plus the bolt right next to the rod is going to be removed. You can also see a new bolt installed behind the wire (for the running lights).

Then I just cut to the mark... right now I only need two oversize bolts.


While also playing around with all the bronze rod, I also brought out the propane torch and tried to bang out a bracelet. Here it is all covered with soot and tarnish, covered in scars from the pliers. I don't think that this will ever turn out jewelry grade, but I anticipate liking it.


I just got done cutting the threads on the bolts. It took a little getting used to getting the die to 'bite in' and start making threads, but I got the hang of it. It wasn't too hard, plus bronze is pretty soft to cut. I already had the die and the wrench to fit, I just needed to do it at school because I do not have a bench vice to hold the rod still while I cut.

Here are the instruments of destruction.

And the final product... I feel like I have completed some sort of black magic. Cutting threads is pretty cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home