Monday, October 02, 2006

Reefing and caulking seams

I also got around to recaulking more of the port side seams that need attention. I reefed them out with the usual homemade screwdriver-come-reefing-iron tool. This went much faster than last time given that I simply have that much more experience than the first go around. I found yet another bit of soft wood in the reefed seams, but it proved to be pretty small (not like the cavernous pockets that were fixed with the dutchmen). So I am going to leave them for now but keep an eye on them in the future for further degradation and such. Here my homebrew redlead primer I use. Bright and toxic. Also you can see the chip brush i cut thinner and beveled to help prime the tight insides of the seams.

And it actually worked really well.


Then I did the usual round of caulking. This time I was extra careful not to over caulk (but I am still learning), because I am caulking after a particularly long and dry summer.

Here is the caulked seams. Before night fell, I got a good coat of red lead on the cotton, and then a coat of the (basic) white hull paint. The red lead was not fully dry, so the white color got a little tainted, but I wanted to get the paying on there before nightfall so the morning dew didn't soak into the cotton.

Here you can see the seams in question, and the pervious dutchman fix.


The closeup.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home