Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Fastening!

So, after a decently long break, I finally got back to the boat work much to my pleasure. I really don't like not getting anything done on the boat and being at the mercy of the weather. I tackled the refastening on the mid hull, since there are only 2 fasteners to go in and then I can button the place up.

After major inspection on the interior of the hull where the fasteners needed to be placed, I realized that behind one there is a chainplate, and the other is a large hanging knee. I was planning on using through bolts on these parts, but both those inboard objects block that idea.
So I went with a lad bolt in the one and a #14 screw in the other. That may seem like a Frankenstein mix, but in the efforts of removing as little wood as possible while still getting a good hold, the screw and bolt are, I believe, the best fasteners for their respective situations.

This entry is picture heavy, for I feel guilty for my lack of posting recently.
Here are the tools getting ready...

I drilled out the holes from the counterbore I already did.

Then buttered up the fastener with some trusty Dolfinite and stuck it in.

The screw went in just fine, I was concerned about it not biting in on the existing hole in the frame. But I knew that if it did not bite in, I could open up the hole a wee bit and put a lag screw in there as well.

But it gripped well. That made me very excited... here is me being really excited with my screw.

The lag screw went in fine as well, until I got to this depth:

As you can see, it is a little askew in the hole, and the socket didn't want to go into the countersink and finish the install. So I backed it out and gave it some motivational taps to set the socket in, then I finished the screwing with the socket pre-countersunk. It worked great.

This made me excited too, but I didn't take anther picutre. Sorry kids.

Then I finished off the evening by making some more bolts for the bow and pissing off the neighbors with all the pounding racket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home