Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Reefing seams

After the tool making, I went ahead and went to town on the seams that will be recaulked.

The reefing went alright. There looked like there was two different 'eras' of seam compound in there... and I ended up finding very little cotton or oakum in the seams that were opened up. No real surprise there. All things considered, besides finding the soft wood and wasted fasteners as mentioned before, it was pretty smooth. The 'custom' tool came in very handy. If I were to do it again and try to do it even better, I would be more careful to reef out a even seam, keeping the caulking bevel opening as even as possible, but that's mostly an aesthetic thing.

Here I am, sitting on the dock and reefin':

Some finished seams amidships. Up above the wider upper seam is where one of the soft pockets is. No doubt that the leaking from the chainplates coming through the deck provided the source of water to feed the spores.


Seams at the bow... some of these I just carefully hooked out the old seam compound and left the original backing in place. I planning on just re-paying them without adding more cotton.


Amidships again...


Me working.


tools of the trade. I used the heat gun, scraper, and sander to clean the faces of the seams before reefing.


I guess this is what ~70 year old cotton/oakum looks like?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home