Monday, July 10, 2006

Weekend update

I do not have my camera with me, so I will be posting pics of this stuff tomorrow. But this weekend had some interesting projects.

I made the reefing hooks from the screwdrivers and then preceded to reef out the poopy topside seams. In doing so, I found two pockets of soft wood, one in the shear strake and one in the first plank down. Both pockets are about 3" in length, but only ~3/4" up into the plank, in the center. The wood on the far inboard and outboard sections seems sound. Unless I see the dire need to do the caulking lightly in these two sections and deal with the full fix later (which I don't see happening), I plan on fitting two trapezoidal graving blocks, essentially giving the planking new wood at the bottom where the detioration is and creating a new caulking bevel. I have a good hunk of African mahogany that should fit the bill for the graving pieces.


I also found something that I really expected. This was noted on the survey, but about 3' aft of the stem, the fasteners on the 2nd plank down have lost their grip on two of the frames. So there is a bit of looseness there and I need to refasten it. No big deal, but the original fasteners are galvanized boat nails and pretty deteriorated (thus the loss of grip). So getting them out will be a pain. I am not quite sure what I am going to do about getting them out. I plan on trying ViceGrips, and maybe a session with an Unscrew-em. We shall see.

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in and give some advice. If you have some knowledge to share, please do so! Leave comments!

It is predicted to rain tomorrow too, which makes this all even better. Now I have nature to deal with again. I guess its just a reminder that despite the summer climate, I still live in Seattle.


Pics soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home