Thursday, August 24, 2006

Cabin side crack

I have also been dealing with little leaks from the cabin sides. They mostly went away at the beginning of last winter just due to the fact that the wood swelled shut from the water, but that fix is not good enough to let me sleep at night. Water getting into the wood is bad!

I have already re-bedded this portlight before, but the crack has grown throughout the long, dry summer. I want to patch it up. So for now, I took off the flange from the exterior and scraped away the paint around the crack, and now I am soaking the raw wood with linseed oil, sea-fin, turpentine mix hoping to let the wood drink up and swell the crack shut. Then I plan on filling what is left with either topside seam compound or roof patch and then repaint to hopefully seal it all in. This should not only fix the leak, but also make the wood more stabilized to the seasonal shrink and swell.

We'll see, but I believe this is the way to go, besides replacing the whole bit of wood, which I think is a bit drastic and unnecessary, but it would work!

Here are some shots of the wood:

You can see the drooly marks from slathering on the oil mixture, or as I've heard it called, 'Boat Sauce.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home