Friday, August 18, 2006

Lady Washington woodwork

Yesterday I rushed home from work, grabbed my woodworking tool bag and rode to the Lady Washington to help them with a woodworking project. Their bell rail beam was rotting and they had the guys at the seaport make a new one, but it happened that the mortise in the new rail was off about 1/4" from center. When I asked JB (the current captain) if there were any projects that could be worked on while they were in town, he asked me to square up the rail and make shims for the missing wood.

I got mostly done yesterday, but I left when I was no longer working efficiently due to lack of dinner. But I got the mortices in the rail opened up to the right offset, and I made 2 of the 3 shims.
Here is the bell rail with the top part off... note the white borate salts packed in the rot holes, and the missing corner of the tennon. That is the third shim I need to do... fill that space.

Here is the work opening up the sockets:

I was pretty pleased with the second mortise... I got a nice flush face and nailed the 90 degree bevel on the first pass.

My mess...

And the bell rail, well centered after the evenings work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home