Friday, October 27, 2006

Finishing the side

I finished the project on the port side last night... well, it may not be the best finish in the world (there is still lots of stuff that can be done with fairing out the side and the seam filler) but it will do the job as far as protection from the elements and sealing the hull.

Here is the side as it existed with just the seam compound on, with all the haggard paint from priming the seams (white paint and homebrew red lead).



And now the painted side. The paint I used was the leftovers I found on the boat when I bought it, and is not very high quality. But it'll do the job for now, and I want to get good paint for the whole hull and do it all at once. So I'll deal with a less-than-stellar finish for now... with a little bit of the two tone look.

Note, the craggy seam on the sheer plank on the right is the old seam compound. From reefing it out, most of the lumpy stuff seems to be a 5200-like polysilfide, while most of the other stuff is a hard and grey Portland cement/roof patch like mix...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home