Monday, October 23, 2006

Weekend work, on Danne

This weekend was full of work on boats... I did a lot of good work on mine, and I played surveyor for Cass on a boat she was looking at buying.

First off, the work on my boat.

I started off bunging the countersinks in the midships refastening project, getting into the home stretch. The first bung went in nice and snug (with varnish for the 'glue'), but for some reason none of the bungs wanted to fit snug in the second hole. Strange, because they were drilled with the same bits... Then I figured out that shoving the socket into the countersink for fastening the lag screw made it just a bit bigger and thus the bung fit was off.

Solution? Soak 'em in linseed oil to swell them up!

So, that was easy and I got it done in good time... then I caulked the seams and primed them with red lead at first, then some old enamel paint before the paying compound goes on.

Then I worked on a little side project that has been waiting for a while, I painted the trim pieces between the deck and the cockpit coaming. The pieces have been on for months but not painted. They have been oiled and varnished with the coaming, but not carefully, just to seal the faying surfaces. Here is the original layout. The pinkish smears is wood filler covering the fasteners (no room for countersunk bungs, plus I didn't care because I wanted to paint it over).

And then I taped it over...

And then I stopped taking pictures apparently. Oops.

Most of my time was spent working on the bow refastening, which had its ups and downs. I did manage to get lots of the bolts in and fastened, but the upper most ones, above the beam shelf where it is very hard to reach and see, are still not done and are proving to be very difficult. I think there will be some more wood and bolt fab to bring the ends of the bolts all the way inboard to the edge of the beam shelf so i can get access to the nuts. I also think that the frame ends are fairly well split and dead, so there is little pull against there.

I think I am going to make small blocks of wood and fasten them to the deck beam next to the frame and bolt through the plank, frame, and the new block. This should provide the ease of fastening and also something for the plank to hold onto other than a questionable frame end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home