Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Cutting off my hand (moron tax)

So, on Saturday, I was cutting the rabbits into the padauk for the sink trim with the Dyzuki saw, and I cut into my hand. Deep.


I had the wood on the edge of the dock, with one knee and my right hand holding it stable. I had cut the shoulder to the rabbit, plus some kerfs down the edge. While cutting the face of the rabbet (bent over, on the dock, cutting towards me, sharp saw... getting the picture?) I got to the end of one of the kerfs and the saw leapt out and slashed across my palm near my thumb.

I dropped the saw and stammered back, clutching my wrist. After some mild confusion and indecision, I went to the shore head and washed it out and controlled the bleeding (a lot of it). I managed to yank Cass out of work and we headed to the ER.

There we sat... and six hours later I left with four stitched in my palm, covered in bandaids.



So, I learned my lesson. The remaining cuts were done with the wood clamped to a good vertical surface. They also came out much better, and less bloody.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home