Thursday, September 14, 2006

Fixing leaks and staying dry

So, there was rain predicted for last night, and boy were they right. As I got home Cass and I took the flanges off the two portlights that have been the biggest leakers so far. I basically just cleaned off the old bedding compound, scraped out the small cracks around one hole, and gave everything a good coat of roof patch. That should hold until I refinish the starboard side like the port (maybe not until after the winter).

In the pictures, everything is really dirty because I have my toerails and other misc wood stored in the channels on the stbd side, all covered with a white tarp. Rainwater collects there and thus all the dirt does too. I hope I can get the rails installed soon so I can have access to those channels for refinishing.




But, when the rain came last night (and boy did it ever), nothing topside that I could find leaked. This was the first major rain testing the fixes I had done on the handrail, fore hatch glass, and the other portlight rebedding. I'm very pleased that everything held.

In this picture, the wok you can see at the bottom is placed there when it rains to catch the water that drops from the portlight above it. It comes down behind the trim board and drops off the carlin under the hanging knee. But this morning, there was nothing in the wok! Yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home