Monday, November 13, 2006

Refasten-o-rama!

So, I recently got the last bolt made and I went to install it during the weekend. I had already put in the bolt block on the inside, but I still needed to drill out the exit hole. Luckily the previous hole drilled through the plank and frame will act as a perfect guide for the last part so it required basically no preparation.

I did however need to rig up something to catch the wood shavings that would be spat out the inside of the boat. Last time Cass held a cup up there for me, but being solo at this juncture, I had to get a little creative.

It worked.


Then I just had to put the bolt through (the nasty looking thing on the bolt is a cut down washer, smaller to fit into the countersink).

And it was done. It is interesting to note that after all this work, all but one of the bolts used in this bit of refastening were homemade. Looks like I made the right choice to learn how to make them, there were enough special situations where the benefits of the homemade bolts were better (and not to mention cheaper!).


So, now begins a few days of slow tightening to bring the plank back flush with the frame... going slow to not stress the wood and surrounding fasteners too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home